This is the moment that Rangers' fans and players celebrated John Beaton's decision to rule out Cyriel Dessers' goal today.

Amid confusion as to what the referee had decided after a VAR check at his pitchside monitor, there was momentary jubilation inside Ibrox as Dessers thought he'd levelled the game with Celtic at 2-2 around 56 minutes in.

The visitors raced into a 2-0 lead during the first half thanks to Daizen Maeda, after just 21 seconds, and then a penalty cooly tucked away by Matt O'Riley.

However, the hosts came out roaring in the second half after being given a rocket up the backside by boss Philippe Clement at half time.

They were awarded a penalty of their own to kick-start matters. Beaton initially decided to book Fabio Silva for diving, but after a VAR check, including an on-field review, the spot kick was given.

James Tavernier thundered home brilliantly with his strike into the top corner, giving Joe Hart no chance, and this sparked the packed-out home crowd into life.

Just minutes later, the ball was in the net again as Dessers scored from close-range after a stramash in Celtic's goalmouth.

The elation around the stadium was palpable, as chaos descended on Ibrox. 

But amid all of that, it was announced over the stadium sound system that a VAR check for the goal was being carried out. It quickly became apparent that a foul by Tom Lawrence on Tomoki Iwata had been missed in the attacking phase of play before the goal. 

Beaton checked the incident at the pitchside monitor for the second time in the game, and his decision was to chop the goal off, instead awarding a free-kick to Celtic deep inside Rangers' half. 

However, as he signalled that his decision was made upon his return to the pitch, it certainly looked like he pointed to the spot as if to indicate a Rangers goal. 

READ MORE: Bobby Madden delivers Rangers vs Celtic penalty verdicts

This prompted wild celebrations from the Rangers faithful inside the stadium as they let out an almighty cheer. Mohamed Diamonde, Tavernier and Dessers could all be seen celebrating too. 

Things soon calmed down though as the realisation set over the stadium that it was a free-kick to Celtic that had been called, and not a goal for the hosts.

It certainly confused Sky's commentators, with Christ Sutton initially branding the decision as 'ridiculous', before stating 'we got there in the end'.

Kenny Miller corroborated this viewpoint, saying: "I think he'd got the wrong signal there. He's definitely pointed to the centre circle there, for me."